Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-variants-00.txt

​
On 28 September 2017 at 17:47, Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
 wrote:

> Just a little comment: The title, "HTTP Variants", let me think that it's
> about 'variants' such 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and maybe some finer distinctions.
>
> I'd change the title to "The HTTP 'Variants' Header" or some such.
>
> Regards,   Martin.

​
Or perhaps just "HTTP Resource Variants".

On 28 September 2017 at 18:16, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> I mentioned TCN in acknowledgements, but could touch on t on the
> introduction too.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 28 Sep 2017, at 6:08 pm, Jan Algermissen <algermissen1971@icloud.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > [resending with better reference [1]]
> >
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > cannot give it a thorough read right now, so bear with me if this is
> obvious, but:
> >
> > What is the difference to the Alternates[1][2] header? It would be nice,
> I think, mentioning that explicitly in the spec.
> >
> > jan
> >
> > [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2295#section-8.3
> > [2] curl http://www.w3.org -HAccept:text/foo -I

​I think it would be helpful to have at least a little more about TCN in
there somewhere.  Personally I'd appreciate something that explains how
Variants and Alternates are different; along the lines of:

* Alternates requires you to specify each combination of attributes
* Alternates/TCN assumes each combination has a different, specific URI.

etc.

I need to dash out so I'm not reading particularly thoroughly right now,
but how does this proposal sit with WhatWG's "Why not connect" thing?
https://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Why_not_conneg

Cheers
--
  Matthew Kerwin