Re: Questions and comments about draft-ietf-httpbis-replay-00

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 12:38:17PM -0400, Kyle Rose wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Benjamin Kaduk <bkaduk@akamai.com> wrote:
> > "In some deployments the TLS server functionality is provided by a cluster
> > or pool of independent machines that share credentials and key material for
> > server authentication and session resumption, subject to some form of load
> > balancing.  In order to safely process early data before the handshake
> > completes, such deployments also need to share a common algorithm for
> > determining whether a given HTTP request is safe to begin processing before
> > the handshake completes.  A server MUST NOT act on early data before the
> > handshake completes if it belongs to such a cluster or pool and there is not
> > such an agreed algorithm for determining request safety.
>
> I don't think this is sufficient: the agreed-upon algorithm could be
> to accept if the server IP is odd and reject if the server IP is even,
> but that would violate the consistency constraint.
>
> I think we want something like "A server MUST NOT act on early data
> before the handshake completes if it and another server in the same
> cluster or pool could, given the same early data, disagree on whether
> to process that data prior to handshake completion or not."

I think it covers it all like this. I'd add "The same rule applies to
gateways". Benjamin's proposal is more exhaustive but I think that
your sentence above is sufficient considering that the expected actions
are already covered in the rest of the spec.

Willy