Re: Question about Accept header and structured suffixes

"application/atom+xml" is not a sub-type of "application/xml", so the
server would not be allowed to send "application/atom+xml" if the client
accepts only "application/xml".

"application/atom+xml" is a sub-type of "application/atom".  Even if the
client specified it accepts "application/atom", "application/atom+xml"
is still a distinct media type and would not be acceptable.  Neither
RFCs 2616 nor 7231 make any allowance for "+" sub-types, so my
interpretation is that the client would have to state
"application/atom+xml" specifically (or "application/*", or "*/*", or
omit the "Accept" header) in order for the server to send
"application/atom+xml".

Remy Lebeau
Lebeau Software