Re: Geolocation header

On 04.08.2017 16:04, Lucas Pardue wrote:

> Walter H. wrote:
>
> On 04.08.2017 13:06, Lucas Pardue wrote:
>
>     I was thinking off the top of my head, the removal of JavaScript
>     presents some opportunity for User Agents to make use of a feature
>     that they’ve not had yet.
>
> not really, because, there is nearly not any site which has NO JS ...
>
> I’m not thinking in terms of web sites, web browsing etc.

this depends, in times where you find JS very often, there is no
benefit, in not having to use the geolocation API, especially not, when
there is no indication not to use any geolocation at all ...

if we had nearly no sites using any JS, there would be a benefit,
because the use of JS wouldn't increase ..., but this isn't ...

> There are many applications of HTTP that do not depend on websites.

these are waste and nobody really wants them: advertising, tracking, ...

> Such services or APIs may be able to benefit from a standardised
> header-based mechanism, one that gives due consideration to privacy
> and security concerns.

to have big data bigger then ever is not the goal ..., think of the end user

> There are user agents that do not include JavaScript interpreters.

of course my ancient Internet Explorer 1.0 from the 1990s :-)
use the right tool for the right work.

> They may be on constrained environments where inclusion is not
> possible. In such cases, the opportunity to transmit geolocation
> without the burden of JavaScript may be attractive.

it would be very attractive for ALL to have a internet without fake
news, without advertising, without tracking, without malware, without
phishing, ...