Re: Question about H2 and chunked encoding

On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 05:12:12AM +0000, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> I've still never seen a chunk trailer yet, are they even in the wild?
>
> Always seemed like a very bad idea to me, you can't make decisions on
> headers for policy if the header arrives at the very end.

I haven't seen them in field, only in tests. The most likely use case is
to send a signature of the transferred data to avoid reading it twice
(eg: an operating system installation DVD could be read & summed in
parallel and the client could check the signature at the end of the
transfer).

> Is there at least a limit on what headers you are prohibited from putting in
> a trailer (apart of course from framing headers) - e.g. Content-Type or
> Content-Encoding would be seriously problematic in a chunk trailer.

I've seen somewhere in 7231 that you must not place there a field
which could alter the interpretation of the contents, so it is not
supposed to be an issue. In the case of haproxy, we don't even process
them, we just forward them as-is.

Willy