From: Martin Thomson [mailto:martin.thomson@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:02 PM
To: Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Priority Placeholders in HTTP/2 and HTTP/QUIC

This seems to be phrased in terms of addressing the unbounded state problem, but I don't see that as possible.  Removing closed streams from the tree removes information in a way that can affect prioritization, so you can't ever avoid accumulating priority state.
(An example of this is in RFC 7540.)

A more fundamental change in the design would be required to bound the state.  Right now, I don't know what that change would look like.

As for fixing the problem in QUIC, why not add flags to the PRIORITY frame so that you can designate a "stream ID" as a placeholder instead?  It's a much smaller change overall.