Re: New Version Notification for draft-thomson-http-replay-00.txt

On 22 July 2017 at 04:02, Kazuho Oku <kazuhooku@gmail.com> wrote:

> OTOH, if we move the responsibility of setting the `early-data` header to
> the client (and therefore require the client to do the resend), the 4xx
> will need to go to the client, and then the request will travel though the
> entire chain. This means that the client will need to wait for 8 RTTh since
> it started sending the TLS handshake.

That requirement was already present.  Though if your suggestion is to
allow an intermediary to retry a request, that's problematic in the sense
that it hides the fact from the user agent.  Sure, a user agent accepts the
risk of replay when it sends a request in early data, but that doesn't give
an intermediary a license to retry for it.

There's probably some way that we can describe rules for retrying at the
intermediary.  It does save a round trip between the user agent and
intermediary, and there is some potential value in having intermediaries
repair things.  But we lose some of the nicer end-to-end properties by
doing so.