Re: Skipping DNS resolutions with ORIGIN frame

My apologies for starting this thread on Friday and then going on vacation!
I'm catching up now.

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I get that you believe that DNS resolution is valuable here, but I
> don't understand your point about "proxy configuration".  If you have
> a proxy configured, you generally don't do the DNS lookup directly, so
> are you saying that you would allow the coalescing for a CONNECT
> tunnel?

Yes, I think so.

> Can you verify that I understand your point about Alt-Svc: if the
> origin had been previously contacted and Alt-Svc identified an IP
> address that matches the current IP, then that could be a sufficient
> signal.  Usually Alt-Svc is a name though, so that wouldn't help.

​Sorry, I wasn't very clear. What I means is that if I connection to
www.example.org which presents an *.example.org certificate, I need some
second piece of information before using it for mail.example.com. In the
alt-svc case, if an earlier connection to mail.example.org advertised
alt-svc for www.example.org, then I would be comfortable coalescing the
connection​ and would not need to do any resolution of mail.example.org.

Similarly, are you saying that CT could assert something that would
> cause you to skip the DNS lookup for a name?

​This was more of a straw-man than a concrete proposal, but yes. Folk in
Chrome security thought that this was plausible, though probably required
more thought.​

Or is this list just to make a more general point about raising the
> bar for gaining the ability to use a name, and not something that is
> specific to this particular example of DNS lookups?

Specific to the issue of skipping DNS lookups when deciding to trust a
certificate.​