Re: Skipping DNS resolutions with ORIGIN frame

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 5:35 PM Ilari Liusvaara <ilariliusvaara@welho.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 01:18:29PM +0200, Piotr Sikora wrote:
> > As mentioned on GitHub [1], where we also discussed this, I believe
> > that the "skip DNS" extension makes sense, provided that it's used
> > together with CT.
>
> Unfortunately, certificate extensions have a few problems here:
>
> - Probably takes a long time for many CAs to support them, or to get
>   support that allows the extension be requested via CSR, as other
>   methods are a PITA.

I actually don't see this as a particularly high barrier. Only a few
high-powered sites that use a multi-CDN strategy are going to need it
(assuming it's a "require DNS" extension). They have a lot of leverage over
their CAs.

> - It is just as easy to get misissued certificate with this
>   extension as one without (provoded CA that misisues supports this
>   extension)!

This is why CT is an important requirement. If a CA issues such a cert, it
is misissuance will be caught.