Re: Alt-Svc special value "clear" clarification

On 29/03/17 13:33, Patrick McManus wrote:
> $origin is not effectively an altenative for $alt1. $alt1 isn't an
> origin at all (it doesn't appear in a host header, for example).. the
> alternatives are the servers that have been enumerated in the alt-svc
> header for the origin in question. If the alternative service set is
> empty for any origin, the usual http resolution rules still apply to
> reach it.

Many thanks for the clarification. I'm not entirely sure why I thought
the origin was an alternative for the alternatives, that's probably
where I was getting confused the more I was trying to think about it.

Is it expected that the alternative services will include Alt-Svc
headers in their own responses? If they are providing exactly the same
service as the origin, would the advertised alternative services be
identical to those offered by the origin, i.e. including the alternative
service being used?

Best Regards,
Sam