Re: on HTTP/QUIC and HTTPBis

--------
In message <BN6PR03MB270849267CD2546027E0243A87230@BN6PR03MB2708.namprd03.prod.
outlook.com>, Mike Bishop writes:

>If you'd like to step over into the
>QUIC side of things and argue for clean separation, we'd love to have your
>input.

My input is this:

1. The more complex you make HTTP, whatever you name it, the more
   broken shit is going to be deployed, putting everybodys privacy and
   personal security at risk from attacks by global players, criminal
   and "legal", which we as society have no way to hold accountable.

2. The so-called "advances in privacy" brought about by IETFs "SSL
   all the things" agenda means that it is becomming close to
   impossible to hold big transnational companies like FaceBook,
   Google, Apple and Microsoft accountable for their industrial
   scale violations of privacy.  "Sunlight is the best disinfectant"
   but IETF is busy pulling down all the blinds.

3. Whether IETFs membership realizes it or not, every new application
   of cryptography is an argument in a political debate about privacy
   as a basic human right, and the proponents of such a human right
   are loosing that debate, because we leave the other side no other
   options than breaking all crypto open by law.

4. If you, as I do, belive in a fundamental human right to privacy,
   that argument should be raised loud and clear in the political
   debate, no matter how silly and dirty that debate is.  Advancing
   your agenda by abusing an accidentally powerfull position without
   asking the other 99.99% of the population how they feel about
   it didn't work for USSR and it wont work for IETF.

And yes, feel free to dismiss this with the usual "We don't do
politics in IETF", but before you do that, remember that you don't
get to define if what you do is "political" or not:  It becomes
political the moment somebody opposes what you do, for political
reasons.