Re: on HTTP/QUIC and HTTPBis

Hey Willy -

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:

> I personnaly am not yet convinced about the performance a program like
> haproxy could achieve by dealing with packets in userland, there are
> pros and cons. However I'm seeing a benefit. We're seeing more and more
> applications relying on frameworks like DPDK though these ones require
> you to add a full TCP stack which generally requires totally different
> semantics. That's why often they're just switches and routers. Mapping
> UDP in such a packet-oriented framework can be much easier and I predict
> we'll see much more adoption there.

I agree that the CPU/scheduling aspect of userspace is the one we least
understand and has the biggest range of possible outcomes particularly for
different platforms. It will be interesting times.  But as you mention,
there are a number of examples that suggest this is a real opportunity but
I don't think of it as a motivator.