RE: HTTP/QUIC Diverging from HTTP/2

I’m fine holding off on the second PR that actually does the split, if you want.  The first PR resolves an issue (need advice on mapping HTTP/2 extensions) and is mostly editorial beyond that, so I’m planning to merge that one unless you object specifically to it.

From: Eric Rescorla [mailto:ekr@rtfm.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 9, 2017 6:28 PM
To: Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: HTTP/QUIC Diverging from HTTP/2

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 6:09 PM, Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com<mailto:Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>> wrote:
Summary of feedback on this so far:

  *   Ekr:  “Hoping we can converge, or at least maximize overlap”
  *   Stefan:  “any hope to [converge] needs to be abandoned”
  *   Ian:  “not excited… but it may… be the right thing to do”
  *   Patrick:  “separate protocols”
  *   Martin:  “keep the differences minimal” but “we're really building a new protocol”
  *   Alcides:  if it’s different, make the differences clear

If I’ve misconstrued anyone’s response, please speak now; and obviously, more opinions are welcome.  I would also appreciate reviews on the text of the PRs themselves.

Unless there’s strong pushback in the next ~14 hours, I expect to incorporate both PRs tomorrow, prior to the -02 publication.  As Mark noted recently, that doesn’t claim full consensus has been reached, but there appears to be general support for considering these separate protocols which are closely related, rather than two variants of a single protocol.

This seems like pretty weak consensus, so I'd prefer we discuss this in ORD rather than
having you merge this now.

-Ekr