Re: 2017-03-06- UTC, TImeZone, DayLight Saving Shifts, Enconding

Let's assume that you want to use time in the following ways:

    1) exact time between two events, anywhere on Earth
    2) a time matching those used by most governments

If so, you need to maintain the following information:

    - UT1 (a precise indication of time progressing)

    - the location where the time is being reported

    - a leapseconds table

    - a table indicating timezones and when they are valid

        a variant of which are the daylight savings shifts

Using this information, you can always report:

    UTC, which is UT1 with the given number of leapseconds added, based
on the UT1 date

    local time, which is UTC adjusted for timezone based on location and
UTC date

How you implement this interface is up to you, but NTP provides ways to
get UTC and UT1 already.

Joe