Re: Why should caches and intermediaries ignore If-Match?

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 4:11 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> video playback will fail.

>> cache. In theory, we control the entire connection and could add custom
>> code to the browser, proxy, and caches to implement any protocol that we
>> invent. In practice, both caches are intended to be HTTP-compliant caches
>> and we'd rather not add custom hacks for use cases like this if we can
>> avoid it.

>> to receive. If-Match originally seemed like the perfect solution: The
>> browser adds `If-Match: ETag` to every range request. If a cache has a copy
>> of the video with a *different* ETag, the cache forwards the request to the
>> next server in the chain rather than returning its cached copy (as would
>> happen if we used If-Range instead of If-Match). Similarly, the proxy knows
>> if the browser is requesting a compressed video or the original video, so
>> it can respond accordingly. However, as discussed previously in this
>> thread, If-Match doesn't work like this.

>> we don't need that behavior. The semantics I'm looking for is: "Send me
>> this representation if you have it, otherwise forward to the next server. A
>> 4xx means that this representation is not current in the origin or in any
>> intermediate cache or proxy."

>> > You have several choices:
>> >
>> > 1) implement this using transfer encodings because they don't change
>> range offsets;
>> >     presumably, these would be added/removed by the protocol handlers
>> before
>> >     the caches ever see them.
>>
>> Ew.
>

> Can you expand what you mean by this? I'm not sure I followed.
>
> In case I wasn't clear, the proxy actually produces a completely different
> transcode of the original video, possibly in a different container format
> or codec. The "compressed" video is actually a completely different file
> than the original video; this is not just compression via Content-Encoding.
>

> If the encoding is reversible (lossless), transfer encoding is a better
> idea.  Of course,
> this has zero chance of being implemented already -- it would be custom
> code.
>
> > 2) use If-Range and configure your proxy to forward the request when no
>> match;
>> >     yes, that's legitimate HTTP (a server is free to ignore partial
>> requests and a proxy
>> >     can forward any request it likes).
>>
>> Nod.
>

> This doesn't help with the caches, which return 200 when there is no match
> on the If-Range etag rather than forwarding the request. If we didn't have
> any HTTP caches in the middle, we would have already done this :)
>

> You control those HTTP caches, right? Change that behavior.  We are
> talking about a trivial
> configuration change (or a one-line source code change), as opposed to a
> change to HTTP
> semantics which, even if we agreed to it, wouldn't be deployed for another

I think you're under-stating the maintenance complexity of adding
non-standard behavior to caches that are generally expected to have
standard HTTP behavior. But, I understand the reluctance to change HTTP
semantics, so we'll look into a non-standard or custom solution.

OTOH, you can just do the sensible thing and use a different URL for the
> compressed stream.
> Then the proxy can redirect initial (normal) requests to the compressed
> stream when it already
> has the beginning of that stream in cache.

This doesn't solve the problem completely either. The proxy still needs to
distinguish initial requests (where it can return a redirect) from
subsequent requests (where it cannot). Obviously this is easy to signal
with any custom protocol, but I was trying to figure out if there's a
purely standards-compliant solution to this problem. It sounds like no, so
I'll do something custom.