Re: The future of forward proxy servers in an http/2 over TLS world

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> wrote:

> yes, that's what caused the problem in the first place, and until we trust
> the proxy I don't think we'll move on from there.
>
> Which means the connection to the proxy needs to be TLS.
>
> We already support this with WinGate and I've verified it with Chrome and
> Firefox.  In that case couldn't the client trust an error response body
> from CONNECT?
>
> Adrien

(firefox hat)

we trust the error came from the proxy - but we don't trust displaying
custom text it in the usual way without significant UI around it as we
would normal content - content comes from the origin and in https is
authenticated as coming from the origin. While we will authenticate a proxy
(and its a good feature!), we aren't trusting it to generate https://
content - just transport it over a CONNECT tunnel so if there is an an
error message that isn't generated by the origin, we would need a different
way to display it. I'm not saying that's impossible - I'm just saying it
doesn't exist.

we would need new UI for messages clearly from an authenticated (I'm not
sure I would use the word trusted) third party. The alternative, as you
mention, is to double down on two-party communication - that imperils the
traditional role of proxy. Some people feel that's a better model and some
disagree. That fight continues in what people choose to implement.