Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-httpbis-retry-01.txt

> On 2 Feb 2017, at 7:41 am, Tom Bergan <tombergan@chromium.org> wrote:
>
> > Applications sometimes want requests to be retried by
> > infrastructure, but can't easily express them in a non-idempotent
> > request (such as GET).
>
> nit: did you mean "in an idempotent request (such as GET)"?

Thanks, fixed in source.

> > A client SHOULD NOT automatically retry a failed automatic retry.
>
> Why does RFC 7230 say this? I am aware of HTTP clients that completely ignore this suggestion, and I can't offhand think of a reason why this is a good rule-of-thumb to follow.

Good question. The immediate answer is that RFC2616 said it, and RFC2068 said it before that (and apparently introduced the requirement).

If we end up revising the text regarding retries, that's something we should consider updating too.

Cheers,

Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/