Re: [dns-privacy] Demultiplexing HTTP and DNS on the same listener [New Version Notification for draft-dkg-dprive-demux-dns-http-02]

Hi, all,

FWIW...speaking from the experience I have leading the IANA ports expert
review team and developing BCP165 (RFCs 6335 and RFC7605):

On 5/3/2017 11:15 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> And Joe Touch pointed out that the draft should explicitly update the
> HTTP as well as DNS specifications, so i've marked the latest revision
> of the draft that way.  If you think that's OK (or if you think it's
> unnecessary), please let me know!
>
> Assumptions about HTTP
I would characterize this as redefining ports 80 and 443 to include DNS
as part of the HTTP specification.

That has some very important ramifications, indicated here as
"assumptions", that limit the future development of HTTP (notably
reserving certain prefixes and patterns to differentiate DNS requests
from HTTP). That could constrain all current and future uses of ports 80
and 443, and could potentially affect any other service that uses HTTP
as a framing layer.

Joe