Re: identifier in draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-01.txt

--------
In message <22726a23-fa30-8c36-833e-8c75a474a18f@measurement-factory.com>, Alex
 Rousskov writes:
>On 04/29/2017 11:45 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> And yes, in HTTP/1.1 serialization you cannot tell if a particular
>> identifier is a word or a number, you need to definition of the
>> header in question to tell you that, that's the cost of a very
>> concise definition and backwards compatibility with standardized
>> headers.
>
>The "cost" part does not compute: A grammar without any "integer"
>element would be even more "concise" and still backwards compatible.

The serialization in HTTP/2/HPACK+ or QUIC might distinguish between
identifiers and numbers for efficiency reasons.

>IMHO, if the grammar remains ambiguous, then we should explicitly state
>that because that property may seriously affect parser implementations.

Header Structure is not a syntactical specification, so the ambiguity
is not a problem.  HS is more like a vocabulary trying to prevent
future headers from being needlessly inventive.