Re: identifier in draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-01.txt

--------
In message <f641382a-f48a-3c48-df90-a385e78de949@measurement-factory.com>, Alex
 Rousskov writes:

>    In draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-01.txt, "integer" is
>"identifier":
>
>> integer = ["-"] 1*19 DIGIT
>
>> identifier = token  [ "/" token ]
>
>> token          = 1*tchar
>> tchar          = ... / DIGIT / ...
>
>Does not that contradict the self-identification claim? If it does not,
>then what do we mean by "self identification" exactly?

"Self-identification" refers to wrapping the entire header in > ... <

And yes, in HTTP/1.1 serialization you cannot tell if a particular
identifier is a word or a number, you need to definition of the
header in question to tell you that, that's the cost of a very
concise definition and backwards compatibility with standardized
headers.