Re: Unicode escape sequence | Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-00, unicode range

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 09:04:44 +0000
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>, Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>, Kari Hurtta <hurtta-ietf@elmme-mailer.org>, Ilari Liusvaara <ilariliusvaara@welho.com>, HTTP working group mailing list <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@varnish-cache.org>
--------
In message <79a43ec2-9fb6-3f32-2326-070896827bd4@gmx.de>, Julian Reschke writes
:

>> There is -- RFC5987 encoding. Not pretty or efficient, but
>> implemented and interoperable. Used in Content-Disposition, Link
>> (although not much), and not much else AFAIK (Julian?).
>
>It's used in the new Digest spec, but I don't believe it's implemented yet.

(RFC5987 uses %XX and UTF-8)

BCP137 doesn't really say anything about that, except a mild scorn for
UTF8 in general in preference for 'human readable' unicode points, and
I unless we want to incorporate RFC5987 into header-structure, we should
probably lean more on BCP137.

I asked previously if header-structure should incorporate RFC5987,
but I understodd the answer as "don't bother" ?

(The main problem in absorbing RFC5987 is that a trailing '*' on a
dictionary key gets a special meaning, and '*' is a valid character
in a RFC7230::token on which I based header-structure's identifier.)