Re: 6455 Websockets and the relationship to HTTP

From: Jacob Champion <champion.p@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 09:11:31 -0800
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On 12/23/2016 07:28 AM, Loïc Hoguin wrote:
> The three bigger Websocket users I have seen are:
>
> * browsers;
> * phone applications;
> * servers
>
> Excluding Websocket sub protocols, generally the pattern is the same: a
> server has an HTTP API and some of that API is implemented using
> Websocket to allow the server to push data to the client.

+1. This can be extended past phone applications, to any
embedded/headless target. If you already have an HTTP+WS API in place
for browsers and you want e.g. your embedded sensor to speak to it too,
just use one of the many standalone WebSocket client libraries (Python,
C++, whatever) and have the server point your target to the WS endpoint.

I think Crossbar (from the same people who made the Autobahn|TestSuite,
which many WS implementations validate themselves with) is a concrete
example of an architecture built on top of WebSocket but partially
targeted at IoT embedded clients.

> The same-origin only seems useful for browsers in practice, I have not
> seen it applied elsewhere.

I haven't either. IIRC, RFC 6455 calls out that Origin isn't necessary
for non-user-agents, since those clients are acting on their own behalf.

--Jacob