Re: Expectations for TLS session reuse

From: Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 18:00:13 -0500
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Cc: Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>, Richard Bradbury <richard.bradbury@rd.bbc.co.uk>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>, Lucas Pardue <Lucas.Pardue@bbc.co.uk>, Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>
On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think that what we need here is for someone to clearly articulate
> what the model is and what is possible within that model.  We don't
> have that right now and I think we're struggling to reach conclusions
> because we each have different expectations.

I would also add that from an HTTPbis perspective, HTTP/1 transport
definitions are not likely to change. The vehicle for changing transport
features is in subsequent revisions of the protocol (which might or might
not imply QUIC) or perhaps extensions where possible.

We made a pretty clean break in H2 between transport and general HTTP
semantic things.. the latter typically have applicability across all
versions of HTTP, but transport changes are not as well suited to looking
backwards.