Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-httpbis-client-hints-03.txt

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 12:40:48 +1100
Cc: "Julian F. Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Ilya Grigorik <ilya@igvita.com>
Hi Ilya,

On 13 Dec. 2016, at 12:22 pm, Ilya Grigorik <ilya@igvita.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 7:01 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> Ilya, will changing "save-data" to being comma-delimited cause great pain for implementation and deployment?
>
> I'm still a bit confused about what we're trying to solve here.
>
> The intent behind [1] was not to provide list semantics. Rather, we wanted to allow a modifier on the token - e.g. "on;skip-video", or some such. Similar to Key's "user-agent;substr=MSIE" and so on. As such, I'm not sure the whole list discussion applies?
>
> Am I missing something obvious? :-)
>
> [1] https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/168

I think that's the context that was missing here. The intent AIUI is not to allow more than one save-data token to appear at a time (in a list); rather, it's to allow tokens to carry additional context as extensions.

Given that, is there still a concern about compatibility with what Common Structure might define?

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/