Re: [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC7540 (4871)

Since it’s me that brought this question
<https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/758> to Martin, I also got some
thoughts on it(from a reader's perspective):

Basically the question is not about the example being wrong, it’s about the
above description being contradictory with the example.

…Resources are shared between streams with the same parent stream, which
means that if a stream *in that set* closes or becomes blocked, any spare
capacity allocated to a stream is distributed to the immediate *neighbors*
of the stream. *However, if the common dependency is removed from the tree,
those streams share resources with streams at the next highest level.*

So, let’s assume the example is correct, then there are three problems with
this paragraph.

   1. *“in that set”*: “set” here apparently means “streams with the same
   parent stream”, so emphasizing “in that set” makes readers feel the
   resource reallocation process is between those streams. Better remove it.
   2. *“neighbors”*: it’s true that in graph theory “neighbors” means nodes
   that directly connect to a specific node(like C, D to A), but since we’re
   talking about a tree, if we could use more precise words like “dependent
   streams” or “child streams”, then there would be no controversy. I searched
   the whole RFC, “neighbor” is only used once, which does cause some
   confusion.
   3. *“However, if the common dependency is removed from the tree, those
   streams share resources with streams at the next highest level.”*: this
   whole sentence, in such case, is not even necessary.

So the modified version would be something like this:

*Resources are shared between streams with the same parent stream, which
means that if a stream closes or becomes blocked, any spare capacity
allocated to the stream is distributed to the dependent streams of it.*

But yeah, like Cory said, Martin definitely proposed the erratum for a
reason, and it's still possible the erratum is what the RFC writers really
meant.
​