Re: Early Hints (103)

From: Daurnimator <quae@daurnimator.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 13:02:55 +1100
To: Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 23 November 2016 at 09:26, Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com> wrote:
> Dear Gentlefolk of HTTPbis,
>
> This is a followup to Kazuho's presentation in Seoul[*] where he discussed
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kazuho-early-hints-status-code/
>
> The idea seemed to have acceptance (both in the room and on the list) with
> some concerns expressed about interoperability. Kazuho was kind enough to
> publish an endpoint so you can test if the client you implement has an
> unexpected failure in the face of 103.
>
> However, the draft was published pretty close to meeting time and there
> wasn't much space for discussion in the room. So before we do a Call For
> Adoption, I would like to hear some more discussion so the chairs can be
> confident there is interest - even if that discussion is "I would like to
> implement that" or "what does that accomplish?". Please do chime in, your
> silence will be taken for disinterest otherwise :).
>
> -Patrick
>
> [*]
> http://recs.conf.meetecho.com/Playout/watch.jsp?recording=IETF97_HTTPBIS&chapter=chapter_1
> goto 1:43 mark

I really like the idea of this!

I've made a small preparatory change in lua-http for the code, but
haven't committed the full support yet.
I will wait until code (103) is registered on the IANA list before doing so.

It does give me ideas for a nice ':early_hints()' method that will
work in both http1 and http2 (where it would be a push_promise).