Re: New Version Notification for draft-kamp-httpbis-structure-01.txt (fwd)

--------
In message <CANatvzwrPxyRPET5SO6fYGZ_6NnqToU9a630x1gjZXx5uAbeuw@mail.gmail.com>
, Kazuho Oku writes:

>Yes. Therefore, I believe that the we should discourage people from
>using fixed point numbers.

That ship has already sailed since q=0.5 does not use integers.

But please note that this is a generic *data model*, and therefore
it should "deliver tools, not policies".

By this I mean that people may legitimately want to move non-integers,
deep structures and unicode strings, and it would be counterproductive
to force them to invent a parallel format to do that.

However, each individual header will have to define which _actual_
data you are allowed to put in it, and a general antipathy against
non-integers is probably wise there.

HTTP-headers you invent, but don't tell other people what data
types they are allowed to use.