Re: RFC 5987bis WG last call - naming the encoding

On 2016/11/17 15:37, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Would people object to naming this thing?
>
> This would affect the abstract, the introduction, the title, and maybe
> some more places.
>
> *If* the group is ok with this,

Giving things a name is usually a good idea.

> would "IPE" (Internationalisation Parameter Encoding") be ok?

First, it sounds grammatically wrong ("Internationalized Parameter
Encoding" would be better, at least grammatically).

Second, it somehow pretends to be the only way to encode parameters with
non-ascii values. To avoid that, I'd prefer something like "Legacy
Internationalized Parameter Encoding". Other ideas welcome.

I still think that using UTF-8 directly for this purpose is the right
way to go, in line with what the rest of the IETF and the Web are doing,
and the earlier we get there, the better.

Regards,   Martin.