Re: Comments on draft-ietf-httpbis-encryption-encoding-04

From: Kari Hurtta <hurtta-ietf@elmme-mailer.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 10:18:58 +0200 (EET)
CC: Kari Hurtta <hurtta-ietf@elmme-mailer.org>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
>>> Do we have a concrete use case for Crypto-Key? If not, I would remove
>>> it. If so, I would consider writing a different spec.
>>
>> Maybe we can discuss this in the meeting, I don't have any objection
>> to this.  I like deleting code.
>
> One use case is over here:
> <https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-http-oob-encoding-09.html#n-example-involving-an-encrypted-resource>
>
> If "Cryto-Key" isn't defined in the base spec, any other spec that
> defines how to pass around the key information will have to define it
> itself. That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
>
> Best regards, Julian

Looks like draft-ietf-httpbis-encryption-encoding needs informal reference
to draft-reschke-http-oob-encoding if Crypto-Key is on
draft-ietf-httpbis-encryption-encoding.

|  ⋯           However, the Crypto-Key header field could be
|   used in one message to provision keys for other messages.

+    One way to do that is use Content-Encoding header field value,
+    which moves actual payload to outside of that message where
+    Crypto-Key header field is used (for example [draft-reschke-http-oob-encoding]).

If I understand correclty  Eric Rescorla suggest own specification:

	Crypto-Key header field for HTTP Encrypted Content-Encoding

Essentially moving

3.  Crypto-Key Header Field
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-encryption-encoding-04#section-3

to that specification.

Then also there need something to be done with examples.

/ Kari Hurtta