Re: New Version Notification for draft-vkrasnov-h2-compression-dictionaries-01.txt

From: Vlad Krasnov <vlad@cloudflare.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 18:23:36 -0700
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>

> On Nov 2, 2016, at 5:06 PM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> What?
>
> HTTP/2 - at the layer Vlad is talking about - only knows about the
> bytes that comprise a request or response.  What Vlad proposes
> requires that the HTTP/2 layer look at the Content-Encoding header
> field, determine that it *ends* with a compatible value and only then
> do things to feed data to the compressor.  That's a massive
> architectural upheaval.

I know that it is not entirely "canonical" however even if implemented entirely at the protocol level, http/2 still has to know that no other content-encoding was used at the application layer.

At least from nginx viewpoint this is very simple, but I did not really consider how difficult it might be to implement in FF.