Re: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-httpbis-cache-digest-01.txt

> [ editor hat ]
>
> This revision explicitly conveys the origin which is the scope of
> CACHE_DIGEST. Note that there's still some discussion of alternative
> scoping:
>   https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/216
>
> Based on discussion, I think we can close the 'Digest Algorithm' issue
> <https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/228> with no action,
> because we don't have a suitable non-cryptographic digest available for
> reference. Anyone disagree?
>
> See remaining open issues here:
>
> https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues?q=is%3Aissue+label%3Acache-digest+is%3Aopen
>
> Another question that the WG should consider is whether we publish this as
> Standards Track or Experimental. Based on the level of interest I've seen so
> far from browsers, Experimental might be more appropriate. Thoughts?

I also think that going to Experimental might be a good idea, for the
following two reasons:

Reason 1: without some kind of standard it is hard to use cache
digests on the public internet, since it is hard to negotiate which
draft version should be used. Note that a cache-digest frame is
typically included in the first flight.

Reason 2: even if browsers do not support cache-digests, a variant
(using HTTP headers) can be implemented using ServiceWorkers. Having a
standard format defined as an RFC would help us gain interoperability
between implementations using ServiceWorkers.

> Cheers,
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: internet-drafts@ietf.org
> Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-httpbis-cache-digest-01.txt
> Date: 1 November 2016 at 10:44:02 am AEDT
> To: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>, "Kazuho Oku" <kazuhooku@gmail.com>
>

> A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-httpbis-cache-digest-01.txt
> has been successfully submitted by Mark Nottingham and posted to the
> IETF repository.
>
> Name: draft-ietf-httpbis-cache-digest
> Revision: 01
> Title: Cache Digests for HTTP/2
> Document date: 2016-11-01
> Group: httpbis
> Pages: 10
> Htmlized:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-cache-digest-01
> Diff:
> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-httpbis-cache-digest-01
>
> Abstract:
>   This specification defines a HTTP/2 frame type to allow clients to
>   inform the server of their cache's contents.  Servers can then use
>   this to inform their choices of what to push to clients.
>
> Note to Readers
>
>   Discussion of this draft takes place on the HTTP working group
>   mailing list (ietf-http-wg@w3.org), which is archived at
>   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/ .
>
>   Working Group information can be found at http://httpwg.github.io/ ;
>   source code and issues list for this draft can be found at
>   https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/labels/cache-digest .

> The IETF Secretariat
>

> --

Kazuho Oku