COPY: "Duplicate" functionality

From: Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 19:49:49 +0200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi all,

According to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4918#section-9.8, the COPY method allows me to make a copy of a resource, but only as long as I know the destination URL of my copy: "The Destination header MUST be present.”.

What I need to implement is functionality that matches the “Duplicate” menu item in the MacOS Finder. In other words, I want to make a copy of an URL, but I want the server to decide on the URL to the COPY.

Is this possible while at the same time being RFC compliant?

If I was to set the Destination header to the same URL as the source, or perhaps the parent collection of the source, would that make sense?

Regards,
Graham
—