WiSH: A General Purpose Message Framing over Byte-Stream Oriented Wire Protocols (HTTP)

From: Takeshi Yoshino <tyoshino@google.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 16:22:44 +0900
To: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Wenbo Zhu <wenboz@google.com>
Hi HTTP WG,

We'd like to propose a general purpose message framing format named WiSH as
a solution for supporting bi-directional message-based communication on the
Web in the era of HTTP/2, QUIC, Fetch API, Streams API, etc.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-yoshino-wish-00

The background/rationale for this proposal is explained in the section 2.

This effort started as a survey of protocol gaps (the summary was posted to
HyBi WG in Jan 2015 [1]). Wenbo has presented the proposal briefly in the
HTTP workshop 2016, and after that we've been incubating it at GitHub [2]
with great input from some parties. Input from this WG (in the thread about
the WS2/h2 proposal [3]) are also incorporated.

Comments are appreciated.

Thanks

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/hybi/YnXi4j6cJhwuP5HEZ0Y3hKCONv8
[2] https://github.com/bidiweb/wish