Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-jfv: what's next

--------
In message <20161016052641.GA28987@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 10:26:04PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> >And what about #4 consisting in indicating the encoding in the header
>> >field *name* instead
>>
>> That's quite a hack, isn't it ?
>
>Not that much after all when you think about it, because our parsers
>will have to consider the field name to know how to decode the value.

At the semantic level, yes.

But not at the serdes level.

And if we pull off the "data dictionary" idea, we can machine generate
parsers which do that for specific cases.

But I would hate to make it part of the definition.

If nothing else, because it takes the 19 existing headers out of
the CS cover.