Re: WebSocket2

From: Kari Hurtta <hurtta-ietf@elmme-mailer.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 07:40:03 +0300 (EEST)
To: Ilari Liusvaara <ilariliusvaara@welho.com>
Ilari Liusvaara <ilariliusvaara@welho.com>: (Sun Oct  2 20:19:05 2016)
> > > Well, I think the following would work and avoid SETTINGS:
> > >
> > > -> :method ws2
> > > -> :scheme wss
> > > -> :authority foo.example
> > > -> :path /bar
> > > -> <optional extra parameters, e.g. compression support>
> > > <- :status 200
> > > <- sec-ws2-ack 1
> > > <- <optional negotiated extras>
> >
> > If we can also assume that proxy does not ignore
> >    :method = ws2
> >    :scheme = ws
> > then this may work.
>
> Oh yeah, that only works against dodgily implemented origins, not WS2-
> unsupporting proxies (that do something else than just realtime
> forwarding of unknown methods).
>

> If one is worried about the latter, one would need the SETTING then
> (one only needs to have server end signal support, since it is a
> capability server has that client may or may not use)..

If forward proxy (= proxy configured on browser) supports both http and ftp,
then it is checking :scheme. If it supports only http (and tunneling with
CONNECT), then it can be lazy.

Reverse proxies (which DNS gives from :authority) are more likely
to be lazy.  These are either http/2 ⇒ http/1.1 or http/2 ⇒ http/2.

Reverse proxies may be also TLS termination point. So wss is not tunneled.

"Transparent" proxies; then perhaps SETTINGS does not work either.

> -Ilari

/ Kari Hurtta