Re: Decomposing HTTP

Mike,

very nice paper. (Since I am not a native speaker I refrain from commenting the title.:) Some thoughts:

HTTP Hops: what I myself am currently struggling with is the flow control part - when it involves more than one TCP connection. In a reverse proxy scenario, where no disc caching is configured/available, there is always a certain amount of memory and latency and resulting throughput. So, a user experiences response times and throughput as an emerging property of linked transports and their properties. And while HTTPS currently favors seemingly direct connections only, there is almost always a man behind the curtain. Which talks HTTP to someone else. Are there requirements from HTTP on transports regarding this?

Graceful Shutdown/Service Migration: HTTP/1.1 has "Connection: close", HTTP/2 has GOAWAY in order to signal that transport "connections" need to be established anew. This is necessary for reliable request handling in the presence of ever reloading, rebalancing servers. I think a transport needs to provide for this.

Fairness: Optimal use of TCP flow control in HTTP/2, could also make very fat connection desirable (in the absence of packet loss). Which brings up the, I think,  unmentioned feature of fairness. Very fat connection might get penalized by the transport (or get preference), giving such requests lower (or higher) response times.

For example, my HTTP/2 implementation tries to treat all requests equally, no matter what connection they come from, at least when allocating processing resources. But it is a tiny bit more efficient to have some connection stickiness, which then is unfair to others. Is this an issue? I do not know. I do not run large data centers and clusters. But speaking about a hypothetical new transports, it could be a feature worth mentioning.

Cheers, Stefan