Re: Proposal: Cookie Priorities

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 13:37:41 +0100 (CET)
To: Mike West <mkwst@google.com>
cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Samuel Huang <huangs@google.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
On Mon, 7 Mar 2016, Mike West wrote:

> I'm confused. Are there clients that process things in the reverse order
> from what RFC6265 lays out?

I'm sure there are several. The curl one just happens to be the one I know the
best.

> I mean, according to the algorithm I quoted in the previous response,
> `Priority=Low; favcolor=blue` _is_ a cookie named `Priority`. Just like
> `Max-Age=1; favcolor=blue` is a cookie named `Max-Age` today. I think that's
> the way browsers process cookies today. Does `curl` do things differently?

It does! It basically detects a set of names used for properties and treats
the first unknown name value pair on the header as the cookie name, in a
left-to-right order on the header.

(I'm not suggesting it is a "proper" or "good" implementation, just that it
works with the vast majority of sites using cookies and it was written long
before we created RFC 6265 and I guess nobody felt the need to update it since
to that aspect.)

--

  / daniel.haxx.se