Re: Proposal: Cookie Priorities

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016, Mike West wrote:

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-west-cookie-priority-00. Apologies for
> the years of delay. :/

Count me as another skeptic.

Since implementing support different cookie priority levels requires changing
the server ends, wouldn't it be better to ask server admins to instead stop
polluting the same domain with excessive amounts of cookies? I presume the
primary cookie limit you're talking about number of cookies per domain.
Alternatively, advocate for a higher limit (even though RFC6265 only suggests
certain limits, browsers are free to user higher)?

What happens to cookies that are actually called 'Priority' ? It seems like a
very standard name for a cookie and to me it seems like there's room for
confusion for services that already use Priority set to Low/High etc. I don't
see any mentioning of how to handle this.

This mechanism adds more complexity to an already complicated and messed up
concept.

I'm also a bit sad to hear that Chrome+Google already implement this, as it
feels like a certain degree of the old web war tactics all over again. It
won't really matter what we say in this work group, as Google services will
work less good without this feature and Chrome already works like this, so in
order to keep users happy, user agents are strong-armed into following...

--

  / daniel.haxx.se