Re: [tcpm] Call for Adoption: TCP Tuning for HTTP

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 19:03:40 +0100
To: Ben Niven-Jenkins <ben@niven-jenkins.co.uk>
Cc: Tim Wicinski <tjw.ietf@gmail.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>, Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 12:54:08PM +0000, Ben Niven-Jenkins wrote:
> Does the doc need to cover operating systems at all?
>
> Is it sufficient to have the explanations and describe what to tune and leave
> it to the reader to work out how to set tunable foo on their operating
> system?

I don't have a strong opinion on this, and I'm not the author, Daniel
did this work. I think that suggesting examples of what settings are
available in certain operating systems to achieve some of the explained
concepts is useful, especially to counter the mis-information or bad
advices found on many blogs. But sending that as strict rules is not
a good thing considering that RFCs are supposed to serve as a reference
for a long time while operating systems change.

Willy