Re: Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-httpbis-alt-svc-13: (with COMMENT)

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 12:41:57 -0600
To: "Mike Bishop" <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>
Cc: "The IESG" <iesg@ietf.org>, "httpbis-chairs@ietf.org" <httpbis-chairs@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-httpbis-alt-svc@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-httpbis-alt-svc@ietf.org>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 2 Mar 2016, at 12:36, Mike Bishop wrote:

> 2.2 - Hypothetically, a more complex client might cache per network
> location and revive the cached entries when it returns to the network
> where it received them.

That seems reasonable. It might be worth mentioning that in the text as
an example of why one might not follow the SHOULD.

> I think your reading of MAY/SHOULD is correct.  Using Alt-Svc itself
> is totally optional -- but if you choose to, this is when you SHOULD
> switch to a given alternative.

I suspect the "if you choose to" part was intended to be implied by "if
a client becomes aware of an alternative service...", with the idea that
only clients that implement this would "become aware". But I think it
would be more clear to say something like "If a supporting client
becomes aware..."

Thanks!

Ben.