Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-proxy-explanation-00.txt

Howdy,

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 5:59 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> FYI - would be interested in what people thought, as I know some folks
> have this problem.
>
> Pretty (and slightly updated) version at:
>   https://mnot.github.io/I-D/proxy-explanation/
>
> The document says about the HTML content in a 403 "but browsers are
unwilling to show this to end users, since doing so would subject them to a
potential man-in-the-middle attack."; this same reluctance seems to me
likely to apply to the URL in the proposed JSON structure.  You note the
issue considerations section, but seem to come down on the side of
including it anyway.  Can you explain more about why? What's the other side
of this trade-off look like, in your thinking?

I found it odd that the document talked about forbidding origin servers
from generating the media type, rather than returning it a response.  Below
you say it MUST NOT be used with 2xx or 3xx responses; it seems like you
could also use similar language for origin server/CDN use.

The document says that "Clients MAY selectively support this media type.
For example, an implementation might deem it only useful (or safe) in
CONNECT requests."  Given the other restrictions, I don't use case outside
of CONNECT, and I would normally say that you shouldn't send an accept
header where you're not willing to receive the type; am I missing some of
your thinking here?

regards,

Ted