Re: Submitted new I-D: Cache Digests for HTTP/2

From: Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 08:16:07 +0000
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Alcides Viamontes E <alcidesv@zunzun.se>

> On 10 Jan 2016, at 17:11, Alcides Viamontes E <alcidesv@zunzun.se> wrote:
>
> Can we embed the cache digest in a header?

On a personal level I am extremely nervous about shoving 24kB of data into a header value. The practice of doing this for Kerberos tokens already caused us to require the CONTINUATION frame unpleasantness in RFC 7540. Generally speaking it seems like smuggling long strings in HTTP headers is a bit of an anti-pattern, and given that HTTP/2 gives us much nicer methods of transporting this kind of data it seems a shame not to use them.

Cory