RE: New Version Notification for draft-bishop-httpbis-http2-additional-certs-01.txt

And per Issue #1, the GitHub repo is now https://github.com/MikeBishop/http2-certs/.

From: Mike Bishop [mailto:Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 11:48 AM
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>; Nick Sullivan <nick@cloudflare.com>
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-bishop-httpbis-http2-additional-certs-01.txt

Per the consensus in Buenos Aires, Martin and I have been working on merging the client-cert draft and the additional-server-cert drafts to a bidirectional method for either peer on an HTTP/2 connection to present/require certificates at the HTTP/2 framing layer before proceeding.

Key changes from what we saw in B-A:

·         Exchanges work the same in both directions – that means clients send a CERTIFICATE_REQUIRED before making a request if they’re blocking requests waiting on a particular certificate.

·         Unsolicited presentation of certificates is permitted (though the recipient isn’t required to consume them) to enable the server to offer certificates as soon as it can speak (“0.5 RTT data” in TLS 1.3)

·         Supported signature types carried in SETTINGS to support proffers of certificates

·         CERTIFICATE frame now includes a Supplemental-Data section – we’re currently envisioning this for bundling SCT and OCSP, though Nick has proposed making this even more flexible.  Added a registry so we can add more data types later (e.g. DNSSec records)

GitHub repo for this is at https://github.com/MikeBishop/http2-client-certs.  Discussion and issues welcome.