Re: Flow control for server push

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:40 AM Wenbo Zhu <wenboz@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 10:35 PM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3 May 2016 at 05:06, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>> > Are we concerned about a server accidentally sending too many pushes,
>> > or deliberately attacking the client via too many pushes?
>>
>> It's the former, accidental overloading.  And it's not really an
>> attack, just an infidelity.  We did a lot to provide feedback
>> mechanisms where there was a risk of overload, and we missed this tiny
>> corner case.
>>
>> As with the push policy stuff, the point is to avoid having a server
>> send pushes when the client doesn't really want them.
>>
>> > Not (2) -- that's overkill.  (1) seems a shame given that it won't
>> prevent
>> > a server from sending pushes, and doesn't feel right given that a client
>> > has no idea how many pushes it might need.
>>
>> I agree on both counts.  I haven't been able to contrive anything that
>> works without ugly side-effects of one sort or other.  I'll probably
>> write a draft with a few ideas in it and see what people think when
>> confronted with specifics.
>>
>>  My experience with #2 and the general problem (like a push channel over
> http/*):
> 1. "explicit" acks should be left to the app ..  to be useful since
> network level delivery doesn't guarantee any commit semantics (as in the
> rpc case)
> 2. a limit on # of pending "messages" (based on network-level delivery
> acks) on the sender + suspension of delivery acks on the receiver
>
> In the absence of delivery acks (as in this web-push case), an explicit
> flow-control message to the peer seems like a reasonable choice, i.e. what
> the actual problem is.

Delivery ack would work - but they are a bit inefficient: if they're
implemented as a regular HTTP method, there is a
full extra roundtrip ( request / response frames ) for each push promise.
It would help control the rate of
send - but I think it would also limit the transmission rate.

It might help if the explicit ack could be sent at least as a one-way
message, or as an optional response to the promise - or
batched, or something like the window mechanism used for flow control.

Costin