Re: Issue with "bytes" Range Unit and live streaming

On 4/20/16 1:40 PM, Thorsten Lohmar wrote:
> Hi Craig, Matthew, all,
>
> Yes, there are more than two solutions to the use-case. I think, Matthew solution is more a solution C than a solution B(ii).
> Of course, another solution (D) is to use the existing DASH-Live or HLS solution, which utilizes a sequence of segment requests with a manifest.
>
> And, these solutions are not exclusive.
>
> BR,
> /Thorsten
Switching to HLS or DASH is not an option for every application, of
course. And that certainly implies an additional layer of complexity
when one just wants to provide access to a progressively-updated
representation.

Media streaming aside, there's always been awareness of
progressively-updated representations in HTTP (IMHO). All we're really
trying to do with this draft is enable a Range request that accommodates
progressively-updated representations. I see this as a simple oversight
with the bytes Range Unit that we're trying to remedy in a
least-impactful way - one that many people have recognized but has not
yet been addressed by an RFC.

Happy Wednesday,

cp

--