Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7230 (4667)

On 04/15/2016 01:53 PM, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 10:19:40AM -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> The way I read your comment makes me think you believe that there was
> an intent to purposely break existing implementations,

Just to avoid misunderstanding: I may be wrong, but I am not that dumb.
The "Founders Intent" phrase refers to Question #1 in Roy's history: Did
the authors intend to apply the "implied *LWS" rule to chunking? The
answer was "No, there was no such intent". AFAICT, that lack of intent
was used as the first reason to remove LWS, and I acknowledged that in
the above paragraph while claiming that reason #1 alone is not enough to
justify keeping the syntax as it is now.

I am now deleting most of my long response because I eventually realized
that you were just defending the way HTTPbis decisions were made. I was
_not_ attacking that (and understand the complexities of that process).

> Absolutely. It's too bad it was not identified by then, but we can circle
> in loops forever asking why is was not identified instead of proposing a
> solution.

We might, but I am not asking that question and am proposing a solution.

> Your proposal might be fine, and maybe in 2 years we'll get
> another report for it not being enough and another errata will simply be
> emitted. That's the purpose of erratas.

Agreed.

Alex.