Re: Browsers and .onion names

Hi Mark,

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 10:40:32AM +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> That said, I don't see how it serves your users well to reject it out of
> hand.

It's not rejecting *this one* specifically, it's starting to add exceptions
for everything even when you're not targetting a specific usage. This opens
a pandora box. Now there is one exception. Next year maybe we'll have tens.
And possibly some of them will conflict with internal names. A lot of people
use ".local" as the TLD for their local network. Someone might suddenly
decide that ".local" must not be forwarded nor resolved for whatever reason
and suddenly all compliant agents will break existing setups. You know better
than any of us that a cleanly designed protocol doesn't require existing
implementations to change to serve its purpose.

> If they accidentally make .onion queries without configuring to use
> Tor, they'll be unpleasantly surprised (and the consequences could be much
> worst, depending on their situation).

So that basically means that Tor is unsafe without this ? Thus maybe using
this DNS mechanism was a poor choice to start with, and it's a bit late to
change all DNS agents just to fix the protocol's design issues.

Regards,
Willy