Re: Browsers and .onion names

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 22:09:42 -0500
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> This was discussed at length.

News to me, thanks Mark. I've just signed up for DNSOP to follow
along. My initial impression from reviewing recent messages is that
the discussion is ongoing rather than settled.

> .onion is much more than that, because it's possible to run not only HTTP, but also XMPP and many other protocols over it. Do we really want an explosion of http-onion, xmpp-onion, etc.? Also, leveraging that into existing software is difficult (mostly because they haven't made protocol schemes a reliable extension point).

I wouldn't call a doubling of a small number an explosion. Considering
the magnitude of what Tor is trying to accomplish, the price doesn't
seem too much of a burden.

But I'll take this to DNSOP after spending some quality time with the
archives. I encourage others to do the same.