Re: http/2 and non-safe http methods

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 09:10:51 +0900
To: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 4 November 2015 at 00:36, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has a recommended best practice emerged among
> implementations for ensuring that unsafe requests are not sent or
> handled out of order?

I don't think that we're in any different a situation to where we were
in the past.  There are plenty of cases in HTTP/1.1 where non-safe
methods are multiplexed, they just happen to use connections rather
than streams.  I can infer from this pattern that the defacto approach
is that applications that care about ordering need to provide their
own ordering guarantees.

If pipelining were more widely used, or if it were the case that
people didn't use multiple concurrent connections to a server, I think
that this would more of an issue.