Re: Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-httpbis-legally-restricted-status

I’ll leave most of your points for others, but did want to provide
background on the specific phrase “legal demand”.  The earliest drafts said
something else, it may have actually been “legal requirement”.  At the time
I was a Google employee and consulted with a Google attorney who has
expertise in this area.  She explained that it would be wise to avoid any
phrases that suggested acknowledging the demand was justified or
legitimate, as this could be prejudicial should it come to litigation.
She recommended the use of “legal demand”, because this is just a statement
of a fact: Someone made a demand, and we decided to block access.  Thus,
the last few drafts have been careful to stick with that phrase.

--
- Tim Bray (If you’d like to send me a private message, see
https://keybase.io/timbray)